Thursday, November 8, 2012

Classroom Reward System

Over the past few weeks I have been trying my best to come up with a good strategy to use with some of my "more difficult" classes this year.  I have tried the "all rules" side of teaching, which did the complete opposite from what I was trying to accomplish.  I have tried that "laid back teacher", which again, was unsuccessful.  I have tried handouts vs. notes from the boad, and group work vs. class discussions vs. independent work, and honestly, nothing seemed to work.

After feeling very frustrated, my colleagues and I were discussing some of their classroom management strategies that had worked for similar classes.  One of my fellow Canadian teachers suggested that he has used a rewards system for them.  I feel in love with the idea so I ran with it.

Each day, the students can now earn stickers and stamps that can be "cashed in" for rewards.  Rewards include "get out of homework free" cards, sweets, positive referrals and 5 minutes of YouTube, etc.  After speaking to the students about this, they seemed to be very excited!   Let's hope this keeps up and the students keep earning stamps/stickers for good work in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment